January 8, 2009
Register for Sports Business and the Law Conference to be Held in Portland January 23
Numerous top-ranking sports industry professionals will converge in downtown Portland for Oregon Law’s “Sports Business and the Law” conference from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday, January 23, at the University of Oregon White Stag Building.
The conference will examine both the legal and business components of the sports industry, while discussing how lawyers can best serve in this specialized area. Guest panelists and speakers include: Larry Miller, president of the Portland Trail Blazers; Cara Frey of the Professional Bowlers Association; Sonya Abraham of Sport Management Worldwide; and representatives from Nike, Adidas, and Columbia Sportswear, among others.
The day’s panel discussions will focus on the topics of:
- “The Law of Sports Leagues,” a look at the legal and business issues sports industry professionals face;
- “Sports Business In-House Counsel,” an examination of the unique legal issues that sports footwear, apparel, and equipment companies face and how their in-house law departments are structured to tackle those issues;
- “Agents, Contracts, and Negotiation,” an explanation on the role of agents in the sports industry, who, in addition to contract negotiation, counsel athletes about post-career security, develop a player’s marketability, and advise athletes on personal conduct issues;
- “Athletic Associations and Legal Compliance,” a look at the numerous legal issues surrounding the activities, rules, and governance of athletic associations in the sports industry, such as the NCAA, U.S. Olympic Committee, and collegiate conferences; and
- “Current Issues in the Sports Industry,” a conversation with audience members on the hot topics surrounding sports business and sports law.