three students sitting at a table listening

Concurrent Degrees

Concurrent Degree Options l How to Apply l How it Works l Paying for a Concurrent Degree

At the university “concurrent degrees” refers to a graduate student who is pursuing two degrees simultaneously. A concurrent degree can give you more knowledge and skills to complement your conflict resolution degree. Concurrent degrees also broaden your career opportunities, widen your network, and provide an opportunity to continue to explore the interdisciplinary nature of conflict.

We’ve partnered with programs across campus to offer concurrent degree plans. As part of the plan, we decrease requirements which makes it possible to complete:

  • Two master’s degrees in three years
  • JD and master’s degree in four years
  • Master’s degree while completing your PhD

Concurrent Degree Options

Don’t see the graduate program you’re interested in? No problem. Contact the CRES Program Director about the possibility of completing a concurrent degree with CRES and another graduate program.

How to Apply

Whether you apply to both programs at the same time or enter one program before applying to the other, concurrent degree students must apply and be accepted to both programs individually.

Each degree program has a separate application process and criteria. Contact the specific program for more information about their application process.

How it Works

Customarily, with concurrent master’s degrees, you will spend a year completing the CRES core curriculum. Then, you will spend a year focusing on your concurrent degree program’s curriculum. Over the third year, you will finish up the requirements for both programs. This third year is usually spent completing your final project, internship, and elective credits.

If you are a concurrent JD student, you will spend one year, usually after your 1L year, focusing on CRES coursework. Then you will complete your remaining CRES requirements during your 2L and 3L years.

If you are a PhD student, you will spend one year focusing on your CRES coursework and complete the rest of your CRES requirements as you work towards your PhD.

Paying for a Concurrent Degree

Once you declare as a concurrent CRES/master’s or PhD student, you will pay the average of the two tuition rates. If you are a concurrent CRES/JD student, you will pay the CRES rate during your “CRES” year, and the JD rate for your 1L, 2L, and 3L years.