two students in a library

CRES Master's Program

Degrees l RequirementsSpecializations l Time to Degree l Concurrent Degrees | Class Profiles


You can earn a master of arts (MA) or a master of science (MS) in conflict and dispute resolution. Earning an MA requires second-year level proficiency in a second language. Competency may be demonstrated by either a standardized test or with adequate course work.

You can also earn a concurrent degree, a graduate certificate(s), and/or a specialization(s) in addition to your CRES degree.

AnchorDegree Requirements

You will develop the conceptual knowledge and practical skills that you need to meet the challenges that emerge due to conflict. The program is composed of four parts:

In your first year of the CRES program, you will complete a set of required foundational courses with your cohort. Core courses are a mix of theory and practice-based courses.
 With the breadth of the university at your fingertips, you can deepen your understanding of conflict resolution across disciplines. You will choose electives from fields such as sociology, psychology, business, international studies, public administration, environmental studies, public policy, and more.
 Unique to the CRES program, you will gain at least 320 hours of practical, hands-on internship experience in conflict and dispute resolution. Our skilled staff supports you in securing internships in the field of your choice, locally, out-of-state, or even internationally.
Your master’s degree culminates with a final project, which can take the form of a thesis, terminal project, or course concentration. This culminating work reflects your career goals and demonstrates the knowledge and skills you have developed throughout the CRES program. You can see examples of final projects here.

Core Course credits
Elective Credits
internship credits
Final project credits

Graduate Specializations

A graduate specialization is either a subdivision of a major or an interdisciplinary track in which a strong graduate-level curriculum is available. The university offers over 20 specializations.

We administer four specializations:

AnchorTime to Degree

You will typically complete the program in two years, but an accelerated path may be possible in some situations. If you’re interested in this option, contact the CRES Program Manager for academic planning. A part-time option is also available. Following the part-time option, you would complete the program in three or four years. If you are interested in the part-time option, please indicate that in your application.

Concurrent master’s students generally spend three years completing their degrees. Concurrent CRES/JD students spend four years completing both degrees.

AnchorConcurrent Degrees

At the university, “concurrent degrees” refers to a graduate student who is pursuing two degrees simultaneously. A concurrent degree can give you more knowledge and skills to complement your conflict resolution degree. Concurrent degrees also broaden your career opportunities, widen your network, and provide an opportunity to continue to explore the interdisciplinary nature of conflict.

We’ve partnered with programs across campus to offer concurrent degree plans. As part of the plan, we decrease requirements which makes it possible to complete two master’s degrees in three years or a JD and master’s degree in four years! Or, earn a master’s degree while completing your PhD.

Concurrent Degrees

Class Profile

See the students who have made, and continue to make, our program great. 

Class Profile