Undergraduate FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for more information?

For more information, please contact Noah Glusman, Managing Director of Legal Studies at nglusman@uoregon.edu


How many credits is the Legal Studies Minor?

Students must complete at least 24 credits. Please check the Legal Studies Minor Checklist for a breakdown of minor requirements.


How do I add the Legal Studies Minor?

To add the Legal Studies Minor, you must be an enrolled student at the University of Oregon. Click Here to complete a brief questionnaire for adding the minor. If you are an admitted student, please wait until you arrive on campus to declare the minor.


How do I drop the Legal Studies Minor?

To drop the Legal Studies Minor, please Click Here.


How do I track my progress towards completing the minor requirements?

Please use the Legal Studies Minor Checklist to track your progress. We recommend you check your degree guide at least twice each quarter in DuckWeb. If you have questions after looking at your degree guide, please contact us for guidance.


When should I declare the Legal Studies Minor?

We recommend that you wait until after taking at least one LAW or CRES (Conflict Resolution) course. However, please do not wait until your senior year to declare. It is better to declare the minor early, allowing ample time to complete all of the requirements.


Can I take Legal Studies courses for pass/no pass credit?

No, all minors are required to take LAW, CRES, and Campus Partner Elective courses for graded credit. All courses must be passed with a C- or better.


Can I count Campus Partner Elective courses for both the minor and my major?

Legal Studies Minors may apply courses from their major towards the Campus Partner Elective requirement. However, please check with your major department for their policy on double-dipping.


Does the Legal Studies Program offer internship credits?

Not at this time. Please contact an advisor from your major or the University of Oregon Career Center for more information on internship opportunities.


Will the Legal Studies Minor help me get into law school?

There is no required combination of major(s)/minor(s) for admittance to law school. However, we believe there are some benefits to having knowledge of the law before enrolling in law school.


How do I substitute a course?

We do not allow substitutions for LAW or CRES courses. However, students are allowed one course substitution for the Campus Partner Elective requirement. If you have taken a course with a law or policy theme, but the course isn't listed on the checklist or degree guide, contact Noah Glusman (nglusman@uoregon.edu) to request a course substitution. Include your student ID number, the course you wish to substitute, a syllabus or description for the course, and a reason for requesting the substitution. 


What should I do if I can’t register for a class?

If a class is full, check to see if a waitlist exists. If so, join the waitlist until seats become available. Please do not contact the instructor. If registration is blocked, contact the Registrar’s Office to check for any potential holds on your account.


Does the Legal Studies Program offer any study abroad opportunities?

No. There are currently no study abroad trips sponsored by the Legal Studies Program or the School of Law. However, students may substitute credits from relevant study abroad courses through Global Education Oregon.


What is the difference between LAW and CRES courses?

CRES stands for Conflict Resolution, which is a program housed in the School of Law. All undergraduate CRES courses count towards the Legal Studies Minor. Some CRES courses are 400/500 level, where undergrads are enrolled with graduate students from the Conflict and Dispute Resolution Master’s program.