Q. What does CRES mean?

A. CRES has become the nickname for the Conflict and Dispute Resolution Master’s Program. It was originally taken from the course prefix established by the UO registrar for our program’s courses: C for conflict and RES for resolution. Now we’re CRES!

Q. Do I need to be a law student to apply?

A. No. This is an interdisciplinary master’s degree granted by the Graduate School and open to any qualified applicant with a bachelor’s degree. However, current or prospective JD or LL.M. students may apply for a concurrent degree in Conflict and Dispute Resolution.

Q. How long does it take to complete the degree?

A. This is a 70-credit degree program. A full-time student can complete all requirements in two years (including Summers). The first year of the program is full-time; the rest of the credits can be earned part-time if that best suits your needs. Part-time and concurrent Master’s degree students can complete the degree in three years.  Concurrent JD students can complete both the Master’s degree and the JD in four years.

Q. How many students are in the CRES program?

A. Cohort sizes range between 20 and 30, depending on the year.  In a given year, the program has approximately 40 - 55 enrolled students.

Q. Is the program a master’s of arts or master’s of science?

A. The program follows the University of Oregon guidelines for Master’s degrees; where a student can earn a Master’s of Art by completing an additional language requirement as defined by the Graduate School, the default degree is a Master’s of Science.

Q. How is the curriculum structured?

A. In the first year, students concentrate on a core course sequence designed to build strong foundations in conflict resolution theory and practice. In the following year, students focus on individualized learning through interdisciplinary elective course options, internship, and a final project (thesis, terminal project or course concentration). Participation in a capstone seminar or academic capstone, during the second year, completes the degree requirements.  To learn more about the structure of the Master’s program, see About CRES.

Q. What is the typical profile of a master’s student?

A. Our students bring a rich diversity of experiences and backgrounds. Their backgrounds have included, for example, law, psychology, police-community relations, human resources, labor, environmental regulation, education. Some have significant work experience, and some have come straight from other university programs.

Q. Where is the program located?

A. In the Knight Law Center at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon. The UO is an AAU research university with over 24,000 students. Eugene is a vibrant city of approximately 157,000 people, and a major cultural center in the I-5 corridor. It sits about 100 miles south of Portland, an hour’s drive west of the Cascade Mountains recreation areas and an hour’s drive east of Pacific Ocean towns and beaches.

Q. Is the program available part-time?

A. The short answer is: not during the first year.  The cohort model requires a full-time commitment during the first year of the program. Each required course is offered only once each year, and you need to be available to take the class when it is scheduled, with your cohort. That said, it is possible to work during the first year, if you have a flexible (part time) job schedule. Your schedule will be more flexible in the second year of the program because you will be working more independently on your internship, electives, and final project.

Q. Is this program available online?

A. We do not offer an online format at this time; since the program follows a cohort model, each incoming class moves through their first year of core coursework together here in Eugene.

 Q. Can I begin the program in January?

A. At this time, the program only accepts students for a Summer term start.

Q. Are scholarships available?

A. Our program currently offers small scholarships for all first-year students only. For more information on tuition and finances, see Tuition & Finances.

Q. Can I still take your classes if I’m not in the Master’s program?

A. CRES elective courses are open to other graduate and undergraduate students and there are a small number of seats available in our CRES core courses to non-CRES graduate students.  If you have questions about taking a specific course, please contact Program Manager Kata Bahnsen-Reinhardt.

Q. Do you offer trainings to community members? 

A. Some of the ADR Center trainings are open to community members – please see the ADR Center website for training opportunities.

Q. Do you offer mediation, facilitation, and/or arbitration services?  If not can you refer me to someone?

A. The Master’s Program doesn’t offer services directly.  For on-campus resources, see Student Conflict Resolution Center or the Ombuds Office; please contact Program Director, John Inglish, for off-campus recommendations and resources.


Q. I am, or I was previously, a graduate student at the UO. Do I need to re-apply?

A. Yes, you will need to reapply.  For details, see Application Procedure.  If you have questions about re-using specific parts of your previous graduate application, please contact us.

Q. I’m currently a J.D. student at the University of Oregon. How do I apply to the CRES program?

A. UO J.D. or LL.M. students applying to the master’s program will apply online using Gradweb.  

Q. I’ve been out of school for several years and cannot get letters of recommendation from former professors. What should I do?

A. While we strongly prefer to have at least two recommendations be from academic sources, we will accept recommendation letters from employers or professional contacts who know you well enough to provide a recommendation.

Q. When will I hear if I have been admitted to the program?

A. First round admission letters usually go out about three or four weeks after the application deadline (see for deadline details), and we continue to accept additional wait list candidates on a rolling basis between that date and July.  We do our best to stay in contact with applicants once you submit your application, so if you have specific questions, let us know.

Transcripts and Entrance Exams

Q. I’m a graduate of the University of Oregon. Can you access my UO transcripts?

A. If you are a graduate of the University of Oregon, you do not need to have your official UO transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions, but you do need to request that transcripts be sent if you earned subsequent credits after leaving the UO.

Q. I’m a graduate student at the University of Oregon. Can you access my transcripts?

A. If you are a graduate student at the University of Oregon and have already sent the UO Office of Admissions official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate institutions at which you completed 12 or more credits, you do not need to have your official transcripts re-sent.

Q. What is the routing number for sending my GRE exam scores?

A. The University of Oregon routing number is 4846.

Q. Do I need to take an entrance exam?

A. No, entrance exams are not required to apply to the CRES Program, but are highly reccomended. Applications are reviewed holistically and entrance exams can sometimes provide further insight into the candidate.

Q. I see that the program accepts LSAT scores, but I can’t find a way to submit my LSAT scores. What would you recommend that I do to submit a LSAT score?

A. The Law School Admission Council will not send a copy of your scores to our program, so please send us a copy of your score report. 

International Students

Q. I'm an international student and have questions – where can I find the answers?

A. For information specific to international students, please see International Applicants.  If you don’t find the answer to your question, please feel free contact us.

Q. Do you provide full scholarship/sponsorships that cover tuition for international students?

A. Not at this time.  Please visit International Applicants for information about scholarship opportunities for international students.