Child Advocacy Law Concentration

Child Advocacy Law

Through the Child Advocacy Law concentration curriculum, you will be prepared to successfully advocate for and represent the interests of children. The comprehensive, interdisciplinary program offers engaging classes, practical skills training through clinics and field placements, and policy and research writing opportunities.


To complete the requirements of the concentration, you must complete with a B- or better (P for clinic) all of the following courses:

  • Family Law
  • Domestic Violence Seminar
  • Children and the Law
  • Evidence
  • Criminal Investigation
  • Defense Clinic or Prosecution Clinic

You must also satisfactorily complete nine (9) credit hours from the following courses:

  • Child Advocacy Field Placement
  • Child Development and the Law
  • Domestic Violence Civil Clinic or Domestic Violence Protective Order Clinic
  • Criminal Adjudication
  • Oregon Practice and Procedure
  • Mental Health and Criminal Law
  • Trial Practice

The offering of any of these courses will depend on teacher availability and reasonable enrollment demand. The Law School does not guarantee that you will be able to satisfy the requirements necessary for obtaining the Concentration.

In addition to completing the curriculum referenced above, you must write a high quality professional academic research paper on a topic concerning child advocacy law. The paper must be of sufficient depth and quality to satisfy, and may be used to satisfy, the Law School’s upper-level writing requirement. This paper requirement may be fulfilled by an independent writing project or the writing requirement for a course or writing for the law review/journal. You must receive advance approval of your topic from a member of the Child Advocacy Certification Committee.

A full list of requirements and procedures is available to current students in MyLaw. The information contained on this page is only a summary of the academic requirements.

For specific course requirements for individual concentrations, please go to “Forms” under the Registrar’s tab in MyLaw.

Log in to MyLaw