Transactional Business Law Concentration

Transactional Business Law

A concentration in Transactional Business Law will provide you with specialized knowledge of legal procedures related to the regulation of businesses, corporations, and organizations. Additionally, in completing this concentration you will gain highly sought-after research, accounting, and legal expertise.

If you are seeking to study the management and internal control of large and small-scale business in greater depth, you may also want to take courses in the University’s Graduate School of Management, or to pursue the JD/MBA concurrent degree program.     


To complete the requirements of the concentration, you must satisfactorily complete all of the following courses:

  • Accounting for Lawyers*
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Associations
  • Federal Income Tax I
  • Secured Transactions (or Fundamentals of Loans)

*In lieu of completing Accounting for Lawyers, you may demonstrate, to the satisfaction of a faculty committee, competence in the fundamentals of financial and managerial accounting.

You must also satisfactorily complete four (4) [or five (5), if you are not required to complete Accounting for Lawyers] of the following courses:

  • Advanced Uniform Commercial Code
  • Business Bankruptcy
  • Business Planning
  • Employment Law
  • Federal Income Tax II
  • International Business Transactions
  • International Tax
  • Mergers and Acquisitions
  • Real Estate Planning
  • Real Estate Transactions
  • Sales (or Sales Survey)
  • Securities Regulation 

In addition to completing the curriculum listed above, you must write a high quality professional academic research paper on a topic of business law. You must receive advance approval of the paper topic from a faculty member of the Transactional Business Law Committee.

A full list of requirements and procedures is available to current students in MyLaw. The information contained on this page is only a summary of the academic requirements.

For specific course requirements for individual concentrations, please go to “Forms” under the Registrar’s tab in MyLaw.

Log in to MyLaw